Monday, March 30, 2009

Couponing Part 1


A few months ago I would have told you couponing was silly. I mean how is it worth it to buy a Sunday paper for 1.50, Take all the time to clip them, then use a couple of coupons to take my $115. weekly grocery bill down a whole $2.25 cents to 112.75, I couldn't figure out how that was worth it at all!! If this is what you think couponing is then keep reading....THIS IS NOT COUPONING!!!

Here is my story in a nut shell and then hopefully soon in part 2 I will tell you how to get started saving up to half of your grocery bill!!


It all started when I saw a few Mom's talking about how to save money at the grocery store on the news, here is one of them Money Saving Mom. This is how my whole couponing mind set changed completely. I started slowly and began to look at Walgreens. I thought "what you want me to buy stuff at Walgreens"?? That's the kind of store I only stepped into when it was an emergency or to get a script filled. But I began to understand the RR's (register rewards). I tried a couple transactions and it worked unbelievably well. Within a few weeks I had free or really cheap toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner and tons of other stuff. I was officially hooked!!

I kept reading online and researching and began to get 2 different Sunday papers and clipping all the coupons. ( My local paper and the Chicago tribune) I started shopping at Kroger, Meijer, and Walgreens . I still had to continue shopping for a few weeks to get things that weren't on sale that I needed.

I set myself a weekly budget and would try to use most of the budget to buy items that were on sale and I had a coupon for. It worked awesome. I was getting twice as many groceries for about half the money.

I also began to see my cupboards fill up. I never had much stock of anything before and my freezer was maybe a fourth full. Before I couldn't stay in budget only buying the things we needed for the week let alone stocking up on something else.


Stay tuned for part 2!

1 comment:

smiss00.artfire.com said...

I love walgreens. Be sure to check out the items in the Rebate book. They just had (if not still) Vitamin Water 2/$1, which is amazing since a lot of stores sell it for $1.85 each. My mom has been getting them for my by the flat for $9.